Tuesday 22 December 2009

Kuru: warred village, resettled

[Thanks to Dave S's comment on the Evretou photo blog, I will try to give each site photo blog a proper introduction; until then, I'll cross-post the introductory posts from Cultural Heritage in Conflict (or samarkeolog).]

The personal page for the resettled, warred village of Kuru/Xirabebaba is now up at Kuru: cultural heritage and community.

I had originally visited the village to inspect the destroyed mass grave of victims of the Armenian Genocide, but during my visit I was also able to view the ruins of some of the homes destroyed by the Turkish military, as well as the palimpsest of features that have developed in the landscape and given it its character (which, sadly, now include that destruction).

[This was originally posted on samarkeolog on 20th June 2007.]

No comments:

Post a Comment